In General, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. You must have a student visa to study in the United States. Your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determine whether you need an F visa, J visa or an M visa.

  • F Student Visa: for study at an accredited U.S. college or university or to study English at an English language institute
  • J Exchange Visa: for participation in an exchange program, including high school and university study
  • M Student Visa: for non-academic or vocational study or training in the United States
STEP 1:  You must first apply and be accepted by a U.S. institution of higher education that is certified by US government.  The schools are known as Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools (F-1 and M-1 programs).  Here is a list of SEVP school that you could choose from.
STEP 2: Once you received an school approval (I-20), then you can apply with your local US consulate for a nonimmigrant visa to come to the USA for your studying.